Sunday, March 04, 2007

From Chile to Peru...

On Tuesday Morning I took the bus 3 hours to Punta Arenas in the south of Chile. Markus, Erez and myself parted ways there and all headed in different directions. Stayed in Punta Arenas overnight and caught a flight up to Santiago, via Puerto Montt (about 3000km). Spent a couple of days sightseeing in Santiago, a really nice city with a very European flair.

On Friday it was time to move on up to Peru. So I boarded another plane to take me to Lima, with a connection to Cusco (another 4000km in total). Arriving in Cusco took my breath away literally, due to the elevation of the town. Have now just spent the weekend acclimatising and drinking Mate de Coca(Coca tea)... which supposedly is the best cure for altitude sickness. Feeling a lot better now!

Tomorrow will be the start of my 4 day trek along the Inca trail up to the ruins of Machu Picchu. It's been raining a lot, but hopefully that will clear up as sonn as we start the trek ;)